by Corey Prachniak is the Chair of LGBT HealthLink’s Steering Committee.
Corey is an attorney working at the intersection of gender and health, and is currently a Zuckerman Fellow at Harvard University. Visit Corey’s website at cprachniak.com.
This weekend, LGBT HealthLink’s Steering Committee will convene in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where HealthLink and our parent organization CenterLink are based. For some of our twelve-member body – which reaches geographically from Boston to St. Louis to Anchorage – it will be their first time meeting the entire group in person. Typically, the Steering Committee convenes by phone each month to work with HealthLink’s fabulous staff. The Committee includes activists, academics, and government and nonprofit leaders each with their own unique path towards joining the HealthLink family.
This weekend, we’re hoping to take stock as to the state of LGBT health and where HealthLink – and our committee in particular – should focus our firepower moving forward. As HealthLink’s mandate has expanded over the years from being completely tobacco-focused to looking at LGBT cancer disparities broadly to increasingly taking on holistic LGBT wellness, we’ve grown our network and our potential to advance health equity across the country.
Throughout the weekend, we’ll be posting updates on the meeting here, on Twitter, and on Facebook with the hashtag #HealthLink2016. We’d love to hear from you as to what you’d like to see HealthLink and the Steering Committee get involved in, what kind of resources or support you need, or how you’d like to help us in achieving our goal of ending LGBT health disparities. You may not be able to join us in person here in sunny Fort Lauderdale, but you can join in the conversation online and be a part of our work.
Corey Prachniak serves as Chair of LGBT HealthLink’s Steering Committee and is a healthcare and LGBT rights attorney. Corey tweets @CPrachniak.
As Chair of LGBT HealthLink‘s Steering Committee, I am happy to announce that we are looking for two individuals to join our diverse and active group. The Steering Committee supports HealthLink’s staff by advising on and promoting the organization’s initiatives, which include work in tobacco, cancer, and other fields of LGBT health. The Committee is also consulted on major organizational decisions and meets regularly by phone and occasionally in person. There are two spaces open on the Steering Committee:
- We are seeking a youth representative between the ages of 18 and 24. The youth representative will ideally be able to assist the rest of the Steering Committee and HealthLink’s staff on reaching other young adults, and on building connections with groups that serve this population. The youth representative will be one of two such representatives on the Committee, and is a full member.
- We are also seeking a Steering Committee member with experience in cancer issues. Ideally, this person would be familiar with LGBT disparities in cancer as well as with the organizations doing work in this field. As HealthLink expands more into cancer-based work, an ability and willingness to connect us into relevant networks and advise us on substantive issues is highly desirable.
Both individuals must be willing to make at least four out of six conference calls per year (usually occurring at 3:00 p.m. EST on a weekday); be willing to travel up to one time per year for an expenses-paid, in-person meeting; be willing to join at least one sub-committee with additional, infrequent conference calls; and be willing to publish at least one blog post per year on a topic of interest to you in the HealthLink blog. Appointments to the Committee will run from July 2015 through June 2017, with the option of a two-year extension.
To apply, please fill out our application by Friday, June 5, 2015. Applicants may be asked to participate in a phone or Skype interview, and final notifications will be sent by July 1, 2015.
The Network for LGBT Health Equity
The time has come: Apply to be a part of our dynamic Steering Committee!
Applications due by June 3rd, 2013
The Network for LGBT Health Equity is now accepting applications to fill four positions on its 13 member Steering Committee!
The purpose of the committee is to provide multidisciplinary input and guidance on activities for the Network. Members will participate by sharing information regarding tobacco and other LGBT health disparity opportunities, providing input on National Network efforts, and considering strategic policy enhancements that further LGBT health disparity work at their organizations.
- Attend regularly scheduled phone meetings (generally once or twice a month maximum)
- Attend one in-person meetings per year (paid for by the Network)
- Review and give feedback on policy, direction, and strategic planning of Network Activities
- Strategize effective ways to increase Network visibility, organizational outreach, and membership
- Identify and increase the engagement of subgroups within the LGBT community (i.e., youth, rural, elder, etc)
- Support and enhance the goals and objectives of the Network in a changing environment
- Engage agency/coalition groups on pertinent issues/opportunities and report back to the Committee
If you are interested in applying for the committee, the following is required (please send CV/Resume and Statement of Interest to firstname.lastname@example.org):
The Youth/Young Adult Nomination process is slightly varied.
If you are between 18-24 years old and would like to apply to be on the committee, click here to fill out the Youth/Young Adult Steering Committee Application form online. Youth/young adults can also apply through the general nominations process (candidacy will not be affected by either application) and follow the same guidelines by submitting the following:
All Nominations must be submitted on or before Monday, June 3rd, 2013 by 3PM EST
To: email@example.com Subject: Steering Committee Nomination
You will receive a confirmation email within 2 working days of your email nomination. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 2 working days, please resend and call 617.927.6452 to ensure delivery. If you are submitting a nomination on the due date and have not received a confirmation by 4PM EST please call 617.927.6452 before 5PM EST to resend or confirm delivery. Nominations received after 6/3/2013 at 3PM EST will not be accepted.
We look forward to reviewing your applications. Please feel free to contact us with any questions!
Network Steering Committee and Staff