by Corey Prachniak, Chair of LGBT HealthLink’s Steering Committee.
Corey is an attorney working at the intersection of gender and health, and is currently a Zuckerman Fellow at Harvard University. Visit Corey’s website at cprachniak.com.
As Chair of the LGBT HealthLink Steering Committee, I’m pleased to announce that we are accepting applications for Steering Committee membership until Wednesday, June 1. Fresh off our annual meeting this past weekend in sunny Fort Lauderdale, we have a busy and exciting year ahead of us, and we’re excited to welcome five new members to our team as part of our yearly recruitment.
The Steering Committee supports the work of LGBT HealthLink, a CDC-funded organization aimed at eliminating LGBT health disparities. We advise on and promote HealthLink’s initiatives, which include work in tobacco, cancer, wellness, and other fields of LGBT health, and are consulted on major organizational decisions. We meet monthly by conference call and yearly in person (which, we promise, is lots of fun!).
We have five positions opening up on the Steering Committee, which are open to people of all ages (including youth), professional backgrounds, geographic locations, and identities. Experience with LGBT health policy, research, activism, or care should be highlighted in your application. In particular, we are seeking:
- At least one Cancer Expert
- At least one LGBT Community Center Representative
- Up to three General Members
Steering Committee members must be willing to:
- Attend at least 9 out of 12 conference calls per year (usually occurring at 4pm EST on a weekday)
- Travel once per year for an expenses-paid, in-person meeting (March 20-21, 2017; 2018 TBD)
- Actively participate in at least one sub-committee
- Serve as a public representative of LGBT HealthLink
- Participate in HealthLink membership recruitment
- Contribute to the HealthLink blog
Appointments to the Committee will run from July 2016 through June 2018, with the option of a two-year extension.
To apply, please fill out our application by June 1, 2016. Applicants will be notified by July 1. If you wish to use a Word document application instead of the above form, or have any questions, please email email@example.com.